Mark Ham's Indian Pacific Wheel Ride 2024

By Mark Ham Join Me

IPWR 2024 Day 6 - Norseman to..... Norseman

Day 6 started off well. Up at 5 am, breakfast, chatting to a Perth couple who were returning home (and happened to have stayed in the room next to us), and headed out about 6:30, probably 30 minutes behind schedule. We had to be in Balladonia before 9 pm to obtain our key for the room that we'd booked, and there was a slight headwind. Anyway, I was making good progress and averaging about 21 km/h.

There wasn't much sun as it was a cloudy morning. We had taken this into consideration as we left Norseman, a few minutes after sunrise, and with a winding road and no blinding sun, we felt that we were safe to be seen and would be OK on the road.

About 9 am an ambulance went past. Lights were flashing but I don't recall the siren going. I thought that maybe some kid on a farm was sick as the ambulance wasn't travelling above the speed limit. A few minutes later two police cars went by with lights flashing and the siren of one wailing. Oh, I knew that there was at least one cyclist in front of us and he had posted that he was leaving quite early in the morning. There had been another staying in Norseman overnight but I didn't know what his plans were.

I saw a stranded motorbike rider, who had run out of oil, and he told me that a cyclist had been hit by the swinging trailer of a passing truck. My first thought was that it was the rider I knew who had left early, but he soon told me that it was the other rider by name, where he was from, and what had happened. It was only 5-6 kms further down the road.

The ambulance passed by me heading back to Norseman. The lights were flashing but still no siren. I gave a thumbs up to the driver and he waved back, so I knew that the injured cyclist was OK, in some respects. I arrived at the scene, there was a witness giving a statement to the police, and his partner said that she had called 000 three times. There was some confusion about another accident further up the highway.

I decided to notify one of the organisers and at this point I saw in the WhatsApp rider chat that was of the most beloved Indipac riders, Caveman, had been hit by a truck. The police officer on the scene told me that, "It didn't look good." A couple of phone calls later and it was confirmed shortly after by the police officer, that Caveman was deceased. This man had finished this ride five times previously and it was horrible news.

The highway was closed, we stayed at the scene knowing that we weren't going to make it to Balladonia that night, and rode the 54 kms back to Norseman. Numb - not really any other way to describe the feeling. Our ride back was like a time trial, as we had nothing to save our legs for. It was decided, quite easily, to stop riding for the sake of our families. Out here, with all of the traffic, you can't afford to lose your focus.

Back at Norseman I saw one of the police officers again and she confirmed that the injured rider had been flown to Perth. He would be OK, albeit with a number of broken bones.

We had lunch at the Thai restaurant before heading over to the pub to discuss our options for getting home. Indipac adventure cut short due to an unimaginable tragedy.

IPWR 2024 Day 5 - Coolgardie to Norseman

After the arduous ride yesterday, it was decided that we would sleep in until 6 am. Carlos had arrived in town at 20 mins to midnight after 19 hrs for his ride to Coolgardie. I didn't hear him come into the cabin either.

There was no hurry today as the wind wouldn't be too much of an issue with most of the planned route heading in a southerly direction. At 8:20 am we departed and I reached Widgiemooltha, some 76 km away, three hrs 50 mins later. It was a pleasant ride, took a number of photos along the way, and then stopped for lunch. Unfortunately, the tavern wasn't open yet so it was only roadhouse food on the menu. The Widgie Burger was pretty tasty though.

Readied ourselves to leave at 1 pm. I expected that the 90 kms to Norseman would take five hrs, given that we didn't mind taking a break along the way. I did have one truck pass me in the lane next to me when I was riding on the shoulder, which surprised me, as he had an overtaking lane to move into and no other traffic was evident. Still, there was no wash so I was steady on the bike and not blown about.

About 4:20 we realised that we'd need to buy some decent food and that the IGA in Norseman closed at 6 pm. That meant some 38 kms in 100 mins. Normally, not an issue. With heavy bikes and many miles in the legs, it was a bit of a concern. Did some fast riding, stopped to wonder if we should call and buy something over the phone, and decided to keep riding. That was a long time trial. But we made such good time that I could stop to take photos of Lake Cowan and still had 20 mins to do my shopping.

Stayed at the Norseman Railway Hotel. Breakfast was included at whatever time we wanted. As it turned out, by the time we went for dinner at 8:15 pm, the pub had already closed the kitchen and so had the BP. Theresa, our host at the hotel. lent us her ute to drive to the other side of town and we managed to score some beef stew from the BP which turned out to be wonderful. Bit of a late night and we were planning to get up at 5 am for the ride to Balladonia next morning.

IPWR 2024 Day 4 - Southern Cross to Coolgardie

Long ride planned today at around 189 km. Planned to leave early to avoid traffic. Made our way out at 3:15 am and there was quite a bit of heavy transport in evidence, even at that time.

The wind was brutal all day. Never ridden in anything like that before. Driving behaviour of the truckies and road train drivers was exceptional. They always gave us plenty of room.

Biggest issue today was a lack of food options on the way. Yellowdine Mobil fuel station burnt down a few years ago and hasn't been rebuilt. Without trail angels Belinda and Cashie I think it would've been a very uncomfortable ride. Still, it took 14 hrs, which included rest steps, an interview with Cashie, and recharging devices.

IPWR 2024 Day 3 - Bruce Rock to Southern Cross

Headed out at 4:05 and was greeted by a tailwind all the way to Merredin.  A cloud front rolled in and made for a lovely scene during the dawn. Sunrise at Merredin was gorgeous. Breakfast at 6am at the BP. From there, our little group of four rode to Southern Cross. This is where the traffic became much heavier but they seemed to look out for the cyclists. Arrive just after 1pm so it was another shortish day.

IPWR 2024 Day 2 - York to Bruce Rock

Up at 3:15 this morning  caesar salad for breakfast, and a 4am start from York.. Talk about serenity. Riding through the night, beautiful dawn, and sunrise. Stopped for a pie, sausage roll, and double-shot iced coffee for second breakfast at Quairading BP. 

The second half was during the warmer part of the morning, through wheatbelt country. Trail angel Scott made a reappearance and Michelle appeared later. Warmed up to about 33°C by the time we reached Bruce Rock. That sign saying only five kilometres to go was a most welcome sight.

IPWR 2024 Day 1 - Fremantle to York

After a surprising good night's sleep I managed to get to the start line at South Mole Lighthouse in Freo. just in time. There's a total of 36 riders this year attempting to get to to the Sydney Opera House.

Workmates, South Perth Cycles members, MACA Cancer 200 riders, and Harry Perkins people came out to see me off, with many of them riding with me, variously to Welshpool, Mundaring, and even out to York.

It was a warm day and trail angels, Don with a Coke and frozen electrolyte, and Scott with snakes and water, were perfectly placed to help out along the way. Great pitstop at York hosted by Flamingo Jo to refuel with Beetlejuice providing technical and mechanical advice and help.

Did about 125km and nearly 1700m of elevation. today, just want to get past the hills 

IPWR 2024 - What I'm packing for an ultra cycling event.

Intending to travel lightly, I've cut down what I plan to carry. The video link will give you a rundown of my gear - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri3jeIK1k7M

Character building training ride to Muchea

They say that wind builds character. I was planning to ride to Ellenbrook, at least, but decided to venture all the way out to Muchea as well. A hot pie and a cold chocolate milk are just about all the encouragement I need. 

Well, it was a rather windy day. So windy in fact, that I dropped to about 14 km/h and my bike was leaning decidedly to one side. As soon as I turned off the PSP to head into Muchea, I was comfortably doing 40+ km/h, despite having ridden almost 80 km by this stage. Quite refuel and then headed back to Perth. At least the wind was in my favour for the return journey and it was reasonably nice.

I think they'll be plenty of character-building days in the Indipac this year. Still, the headwinds I'm likely to face will be less than those battling cancer.

You meet some interesting critters when training

Much of my training involves early mornings and a great deal of solo riding. Sometimes, you meet some interesting critters. And I'm not talking about other riders. Last weekend, on a Saturday ride to Baldivis, I happened upon a juvenile tiger snake.

Another hot weekend and more serious training

Saturday was high 30s, Sunday low 40s. Thankfully my riding was over before lunch so I didn't experience the worst of the conditions, and it was good to be able to manage them.

Saturday - 105.0km to Baldivis and back
Sunday - 121.0km to Ellenbrook and back

First lengthy training rides

If you want to ride a long distance over a long period of time, it only makes sense to train with some long distances. First serious hit-out on the bike after a lengthy injury layoff, and the physio could hardly have chosen a more difficult weekend. On Saturday the 10th of Feb the temperature was about 36C when I finished, and on Sunday it was only a few degrees cooler.

Saturday - 103.2km to Baldivis and back
Sunday - 108.0km to Sorrento and back

Please support my fundraising and follow my bike adventure.

I am attempting to raise $10,000 for the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research by taking on the Indian Pacific Wheel Ride 2024.

This 5,471km, unsupported road cycle starts at Fremantle at 6.22am (as tradition states) on Saturday 16th March. After leaving WA and passing through Adelaide, Melbourne and Canberra, I will be finishing the event at the iconic Sydney Opera House, more than 2 weeks after setting off. 

CLICK HERE and select rider 'Froog' to track my progress or check out my blog posts at the bottom of this page once the ride is underway.

The reason I am supporting the Perkins with this ride is because raising money for medical research in an effort to make diseases non-lethal is a cause that really resonates with me. My mum had 2 different forms of cancer but has survived both. The treatment for her second form of cancer was very targeted due to advancements in medical research leading to far less side effects compared to her treatment the first time around. I have also had several colleagues overcome an originally poor prognosis to go on to lead healthy lives.

But more needs to be done...

🔬 Roughly 50,000 Australians die of Cancer every year 

💔 2 in 5 of us will be diagnosed with cancer by the age of 85.

The Perkins researchers are working tirelessly to tackle these figures and accelerate the delivery of life saving scientific breakthroughs to improve the health of all Western Australians. 

Please donate what you can to help fund their incredible research to help keep families, like yours and mine, together for longer.

Thank you.

My Achievements

Fundraising page

Updated Profile Pic

Added a Blog Post

Received 5 Donations

Reached Goal

Increased Target

Thank you to my Sponsors

$208

Matt Moncrieff

Well done Mark, great effort. Sorry about your mate and condolences

$54.86

Michael Whitaker

$223.66

Ivan Agostini

$111.83

Peter Colvin

Well done Mark, sorry it was all cut short.

$28.35

Koch Solutions Australia Pty Ltd

Containers for cash and swear jar contents.

$8.60

Mark Ham

Containers for cash this year.

$111.83

Dennis Hutchison

$90.48

Anonymous

Get you to the two Kay.

$31.65

Kyra Lee

$109.72

Sue Groocock

saw this "Have gratitude for all that brought you here"

$110.24

Rick Podgorski

Always, Good luck!

$54.86

Peter Alexander

Well done Brother Mark, Awesome effort; enjoy the journey. Pace it and take the 6 weeks. Look forward to the story's ion your return. Cheers Peter

$110

Sam & Rini

Mark, You are an absolute champion! Me and Rini will be eagerly following this inspirational journey of yours. Wish you all the very best, mate :)

$54.86

The Skinner Family

Champion effort Mark.. Enjoying watching your progress.

$54.86

Mark And Jo Jewell

Your all very inspirational Mark and the difference the money makes in buying in top professionals is fantastic. " knights on bikes" ( knights in shining armour). Good luck mate.

$52

Pedro And Judith

All the best Mark!!! Pedro and Judith

$105.50

Tracy-lee Logos

Wow is all I can say I’m totally in awe of you Mark. Goodluck

$105

Stefan Wiederspahn

Enjoy this epic adventure and be safe!

$26

Andrew Gwozdecki

$54.86

Bradley Darlington

Smashing effort just to prepare for the ride Mark, I will be following your progress each day.

$54.86

Kevin Bull

$110.24

David Hayter

Good luck Froog. Hope you stay fit and enjoy the adventure. I will see you at the start and ride with you to Mundairing.

$54.86

Daniel Croft

Good luck Mark

$111.83

Charlene Wilkinson

Best of luck Mark!

$111.83

Jacqueline

Epic effort to overcome injury just getting fit for the ride Mark. I look forward to following u as u pedal across this beautiful country.

$50

Vanessa Pietrasik

Good luck Mark, enjoy the pain - the ride I mean. Stay safe

$111.83

Paul Davison

$105.50

Luisa Caravello

$111.83

Sean Walsh

That's a long ride Mr Ham. Wishing you a safe journey

$111.83

Simon Harrington

Hi Mark. Truly inspirational to do such an epic ride. I hope you have favorable weather and winds.

$54.08

Anonymous

$54.71

Mark Ham